Some women suffer from the discomfort of physical problems as their pregnancy progresses. A woman’s body goes through a great many hormonal and physical changes to support the baby’s growth, and resulting aches and pains are common. Non-invasive pregnancy treatments in Bradford such as physiotherapy, massage therapy, chiropractic care, kinesiology and pelvic health physiotherapy administered by a certified health care professional can go a long way to relieve pain, improve circulation and restore a feeling of general wellness.
Pregnancy Related Conditions
- Low Back Pain: Pregnancy may put a strain on your posture, resulting in low back pain. A professional massage therapist can target the exact problem area and manipulate your muscles to give you some relief. In addition, your massage therapist can assist you in identifying some measures to consider like avoiding high-heeled shoes, refraining from lifting heavy objects and choosing a chair with good back support. In combination with massage chiropractic care is extremely effective in managing low back pain. Adjustments are gentle and are targeted to re-align the pelvis and the spine to alleviate the strain on the lower back. Having a balanced spine and pelvis can also lead to an easier birth.
- Headaches: Headaches, a common complaint during pregnancy, should not be ignored since they may be a sign of high blood pressure. Since using pharmaceutical products can be a concern for mother and baby, chiropractic care with spinal manipulative therapy, massage therapy and physiotherapy can help alleviate symptoms.
- Leg Cramps and Lax Ligaments: Leg cramps are a common complain toward the end of the pregnancy. Stretching can help, and your health care provider can instruct you on the proper exercises for the best result. A woman’s pregnant body releases a hormone that loosens ligaments, so it is important to get professional advice for appropriate exercise during pregnancy to prevent injuries.
- Abdominal Pain: Some women experience pain in the lower abdomen during pregnancy, typically at around 18 to 24 weeks. Pelvic health physiotherapy can alleviate abdominal pain with exercises to stabilize the lower back and pelvis. Gentle chiropractic care can also be effective by balancing out the stresses on the pelvis. Be sure to see a health care provider to determine the cause of abdominal pain, which may include serious conditions such as placenta problems, gallbladder issues or appendicitis.
- Circulation Problems: Massage therapy by a certified healthcare provider can help with circulation problems including edema, a common complaint during pregnancy. Edema is the swelling of the joints caused by reduced circulation, putting increased pressure on the blood vessels. Massage therapy can reduce fluids in the joints and aid in the removal of waste by the lymphatic system.
- Insomnia: Pregnant women may suffer from insomnia caused by leg cramps, bladder pressure and heartburn. Regular pregnancy massages administered by a professional massage therapist can help. Pregnant women will be instructed in lifestyle changes like practicing yoga, gentle stretching, and lowering the thermostat in the bedroom.
What are my treatment options?
Pelvic Health Physiotherapy deals with the sensitive issues concerning pelvic health, and is effective for a wide range of conditions ranging from an overactive bladder and incontinence to painful sexual relations. The goal of our pelvic health physiotherapy program is to restore pelvic function and increase your overall comfort throughout the duration of your pregnancy.
Physiotherapy is a non- invasive health modality. The goal of any physiotherapy program is to help to reduce your pain. Your posture, body alignment, neck range of motion and strength will all be assessed and targeted to help improve any symptoms of resulting from increased stress on the body due to pregnancy.
Chiropractic Care is another non-invasive health care modality which can help treat the pain and symptoms relating to pregnancy. A chiropractic treatment includes manual therapy with hands involving mobilization and stretching, muscle relaxation and/or stimulation using various modalities. Each treatment is catered to the individual and is based solely on the Chiropractors physical assessment of the individual.
Massage therapy is a fully hands on manipulation of the bodies soft tissues. The massage therapist will determine the exact issues related to your condition, and decide on the right approach to treat the symptoms you are experiencing.