We have all heard the expression 40 is the new 20, and for Bradford, Ontario seniors, that can translate into 70 is the new 50. Kidding aside, there is a new perspective on aging that takes into consideration a person’s biological age as opposed to his or her chronological age. In other words, it is entirely possible to act and feel much younger than you really are.
Seniors Programs in Bradford, Ontario
This is good news, and many seniors in and around Bradford, Ontario take advantage of senior citizen health and wellness programs that can help avoid problems like high blood pressure, increased cholesterol, weight gain and poor cardiovascular performance. In some cases, loss of memory can be slowed or avoided.
Here are some local Bradford senior programs for health and wellness as well as residential care:
- RNS Health & Wellness Centre: Seniors are offered a decreased rate on services including chiropractic care, physiotherapy, yoga, orthotics, deep tissue laser treatment, kinesiology and massage therapy. The focus at RNS is to maintain and improve health and wellness while preventing future disorders. RNS also offers workshops for senior citizens in their event facility.
- CHATS (Community & Home Assistance to Seniors: This nonprofit charitable organization offers in-home and community services to enhance the wellness, health and independence for Bradford seniors. CHATS provides home safety services, wellness and social programs, Meals on Wheels, caregiver support and transportation.
- Bradford Valley: This long-term care facility in Bradford is home to almost 250 residents. Services offered include regular visits by a nurse; restorative care programs; cultural programs; pet therapy; and volunteer programs.
- BWG Leisure Centre: The BWG Leisure Centre serving Bradford West Gwillimbury offers a full range of group exercise classes and aquatics. Seniors can benefit from classes including Fit Bodies, a low to medium intensity class designed for the aging population focusing on strength, coordination, balance, and flexibility; Walk n’ Talk around the indoor track; Gravity and TRX training systems for cardiovascular endurance and core stability; and Fitness for Breath, designed for people with chronic lung disease.
- Bradford House: This LOFT senior assisted living facility in a landmark Bradford building offers supportive housing services to at-risk older adults. Services include crisis intervention, care coordination, psychogeriatric case management, personal care, medication support, and assistance with basic life skills. Aquafit water aerobics classes use water as resistance for strength and endurance.